counter customizable free hit

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

MySQL 5.0 Stored Procedures : Part 4 (update)

As long ago as last week I said that on the following day I'd post a new blog entry on Stored Procedures, yet again the day job has beaten me. It's now a week later and I still haven't found a spare 20-30 minutes to devote enough time to write the next instalment.

So as way of an update I'll just briefly go over the homework I set. I asked "what happens if you don't use INTO to pass the value into a variable", I gave a clue or at least mentioned that in Oracle trying to load a procedure with a select statement without an into clause results in a compile error (PLS-00428 to be exact).

But MySQL exhibits some interesting behaviour, I'm not exactly sure if it's by design but when issuing a 'normal' select statement in a procedure rather than an error MySQL returns the result set as if you have issued the command directly from the command line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home