counter customizable free hit

Saturday, February 18, 2006

5.1.6 On Mac OS X

I have finally found sometime this weekend to update www.mysqldevelopment.com. So in the spirit of the site I'm looking forward and adding content on some of the new features in 5.1, first up it's the event scheduler.

I have been using my Mac less and less recently simply because I have been using it as a media centre and it now lives over by the TV, I generally connect remotely via putty or VNC. So given that I was on my Windows PC this morning I decided to install the latest release of 5.1 on there.

The download and install went perfectly and I started up the MySQL command line ready to have a play with the event scheduler. So I ran

mysql> SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES LIKE 'event%';
+-----------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+-----------------+-------+
| event_scheduler | OFF |
+-----------------+-------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

Great off to a good start, next up I have to set the event_scheduler variable to ON....

ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Oops.. memories of the early work I did on mysqldevelopment.com with 5.0.1 came flooding back, having worked with recent versions of MySQL 5.0 which are totally stable it's easy to forget that 5.1.6 is still in the development phase. I remembered Markus Popp mentioning that the event scheduler had problems on windows and it seems it does.

So I connected to the Mac via VNC and downloaded 5.1.6 for the Mac OS X 10.3 (yep behind the times at bit on that as well). In the past I have had plenty of problems upgrading MySQL on the Mac, I'll be honest and say that was more to do with my lack of experience of the Darwin command line than anything else, but it seems I must have picked something up as this time it was really simple. I tend to make things easy for myself in that I just to clear out the old system and install the new one right on top, I don't have anything worth keeping on the Mac's MySQL database so that makes things relatively easy.

So I rebooted, went into the terminal and typed MySQL....

~ $ mysql
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 4 to server version: 5.1.6-alpha

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

Then I tried to turn on the event scheduler

mysql> set global event_scheduler = ON;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

So that’s it, I'm all set ready to rock and roll with 5.1.6 and ready to test the event scheduler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home